27 June 2007

curled up on the sofa with a good book...


Has it really been raining here for two and a half weeks straight?

I decided to put my knitting aside and read a good book. I got myself a library card and spent an hour or so perusing the bookshelves.

I came across a familiar author, Margaret Atwood. It has been a while since I sunk my teeth in some Canadian Lit, so I signed out, The Blind Assassin.

With my beaded cami set aside, my free time has been spent wrapped in a blanket and curled up on the sofa, a mug of hot tea on the side and Ms. Atwood’s Booker Prize Winner (2000).

The novel’s title, The Blind Assassin, is actually the title of the story within, written by the narrator’s sister, Laura Chase, who on the very first page of the book, drives herself off a bridge ten days after the end of World War II.

The unusual structure of the novel is one of the great strengths in Ms. Atwood’s writing…a story within a story within a story…many layers to discover and unfold.

This novel is a literary piece of fabulous writing. The reader is drawn into the narrator, Iris Chasse Griffen’s reflection of her life and the perspectives of the people around her. The backdrop for this novel is set in a fictional small town Ontario with many references to Toronto, a place very familiar to me.

Of course the knitting perspective had a minor role in this novel…Atwood (she also knows how to knit) made references to the women who handknitted socks for the soldiers in World War I and II.

A very good read…now back to some knitting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been raining for 2.5 weeks here also! Winter has well and truly arrived.

Anonymous said...

Sounds marvellous, the book! Might need to find it somewhere and have a read.