16 June 2007

something old is vintage

I love to collect things that have a significant meaning to me. My latest acquisition has an interesting Canadian/Royal connection...
This is my first vintage knitting pattern...
To commemorate Princess Elizabeth’s first official visit to Canada in 1951, the T. Eaton Co. Limited (one of Canada’s greatest retail and social institution) produced and promoted a special knitting pattern in honour of the Royal Visit.
Now there is an Irish connection…
Timothy Eaton who founded Eaton’s in 1869 was an Irish immigrant.

2 comments:

Ger said...

Diane, was that the Eaton who owned the cake shop in Terenure? If so thats where I grew up and on special occasions got cakes from this shop, especially chocolate eclairs. Boy that is a childhood memory for me if it is

Anonymous said...

Very cool, Diane. I love vintage patterns as really good ones have a timeless quality. So, is that going onto your 'to be knit' list? :-)