30 October 2006

non-knitter tales


My spouse is a non-knitter. He simply does not comprehend the meaning and importance of a knitter's yarn stash.

I am in the midst of packing my life’s belongings in one suitcase. The airline restricts me to one checked in baggage and one carry on.

I am in a state of panic because my suitcase is bursting at the seams and it is over the weight limit...this does not include my current yarn stash and knitting accessories.

The spouse says, “Honey, only pack what you need, your wool is not a priority. We can have it shipped over later or maybe your parents can bring it over when they come to visit.”

I say, ‘uhh, nooo, I don’t think so. I really, really need all my knitting stuff. I’ll take some other non-essential stuff out. Leave it to me.”

My darling spouse does not understand my stash includes merino, alpaca, cotton, silk and even some unknown fibres. What about my Addis, bamboo circulars, dpns, and straights? Most of the weight lies in the metal knitting needles (I can’t seem to part with the metal staights just in case I will need them).

Yesterday afternoon, I re-packed my stash into Ziploc bags, and prioritized the yarns I would be bringing over. I set aside a few baggies for family members to take over when they visit.

In order to fit my precious possessions, I am taking out 2 suits, 2 blazers, 2 dresses and 2 pairs of dress shoes. I just hope that I won’t have to go business casual for a while. but then again, I can always find my way to Grafton Street (Toronto equivilant is Yonge/Bloor shopping district). I never said that I only shop for yarn....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Space bags.....they're a wonderful thing....

Diane said...

sounds very futuristic, what are space bags?