25 January 2007

frogging in public may be hazardous to your health

I was knitting a scarf using a linen/viscose blend, from my yarn stash, as part of my "spring wardrobe" using a linen/viscose blend. It was coming along nicely...

Two days ago, I was on the bus, minding my own business, knitting away in rush hour traffic.... I decided to count my stitches and take a closer look at my stitches. Urgggh...I noticed the stitch pattern did not look right and my stitch count was way, way off... so I pulled it off the needles and frogged it.

Then, I heard a gasping sound coming from the lady sitting next to me... I looked over at her as she clutched her chest...OMG, I thought, was she having a heart attack? The adrenaline coarsed through my veins, as the thought of performing CPR on a crowded bus set me into panic mode....I anxiously asked, "are you alright?" She responded, "I didn't mean to startle you, I've been watching you knit that lovely scarf since the we left town, and now it is just.... just string now."

Yep....another WIP in the frog pond.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! That's so funny! Not having to rip back, of course, but someone really appreciating all the work that had gone into it beforehand.

Anonymous said...

ogawd that was good ... a true example of how even the observers have a particular investment in ohe expressed creativity of another. Ahh, the family of humanity.
(of course, i am reading your description her gasp with that lovely Irish lilt, too, which make sit all the more touching ...)

That your contemplating spring where reveals the difference in weather systems ...
my dear, enjoy whatever it is that's going on there - I am in heaven (almost literally) with the low, low, low temperatures here which are, with the "windshield factor", -23 degrees today. Honestly, why do they even count when it's past -12 anyway?
hugs and warm cocoa,
t.

David T. Macknet said...

They do seem to have an investment in whatever it is you're knitting. It's funny how fascinating it is to people, too, and how they feel free to comment and to converse if they see you knitting. It's ... a mysterious activity to people. Strange.

I'd never heard the term "frog" with regards to "ripping back" or "tinking back." Wonder where it comes from?

frog1 noun

1) a tailless amphibian with a short squat body, moist smooth skin, and very long hind legs for leaping. [Many species, chiefly in family Ranidae.]
2) (Frog) informal, derogatory a French person.

From Old English frogga, of Germanic origin; a general term of abuse in Middle English. Its application to the French (C18) is partly alliterative, partly from the reputation of the French for eating frogs' legs

frog2 noun

1) a thing used to hold or fasten something.
2) an ornamental coat fastener consisting of a spindle-shaped button and a loop.
3) an attachment to a belt for holding a sword or bayonet.
4) a perforated or spiked device for holding the stems of flowers in an arrangement.

C18: perhaps a use of frog1, influenced by Italian forchetta or French fourchette 'small fork', because of the shape.

frog3 noun

1) an elastic horny pad growing in the sole of a horse's hoof, helping to absorb the shock when the hoof hits the ground.

C17: perhaps from frog1; perhaps also influenced by Italian forchetta or French fourchette (see frog2).

Julia said...

Ha-ha! Hilarious. My boyfriend can't believe it when I rip out something after so much knitting, but a stranger? Priceless.

Oh, and Davimack? 'Frogging' knitting comes from 'rip it' which sounds like 'ribbit'. At least, that's the explanation I've heard.

Not An Artist said...

Ha ha! How amazing, I wish the comments I got on public transit on my knitting were funny like that ;)

ps: Davimack, I agree with Miss Muffy. "Frogging" comes from "Rippit rippit".