11 February 2007

the view from the street

The Spouse and I made the decision in 2003 to give up our motor vehicle and rely on the public transportation system. We are viewed as an oddity since we are members of a minority group who have made it a personal choice not to own a vehicle.
I have been incrediously asked, “How do you get around without a car?” Duhhh, well... I have two feet that get me from point A to point B and this is called walking... and as an adjunct, I use a mode of transportation called a bicycle, bus, subway, train, taxi...for travelling great distances, an airplane.
I do not wish to offend those who own and drive their automobiles. Don’t get me wrong...I enjoy getting behind wheel of a luxurious car and hearing her engine purr...
As a transit user, look at the positive aspect...
I get a great view of the city.
and when I get a seat...I can knit!!! I started this shawl last weekend on my way into the city...
The traffic in and out the city, may be a pain in the neck for those that drive and need to be somewhere in a hurry. It suits me fine, since I am able to knit and knit to my hearts content...and one week later...I have accomplished several inches of my shawl.

6 comments:

Ger said...

I love the shawl, Diane, and its a great colour. Hope the buses keep coming on time for you and well done on doing without the car.Its a great move forward now that this global warming is nigh.
Ger

Holly said...

I just need more time between my stop and my destination. Maybe I should just keep on riding to the end of the line to get more projects done.

Anonymous said...

Good on ya for going without a car. I lasted about 1 month here without one. I know, I'm lame.

Julia said...

Wow -what a noble decision! I've never owned a car and I'm always floored by people that think you can't possible do anything without one. Plus, you get extra exercise AND knitting time - fabulous!

David T. Macknet said...

We've done the best we felt we could do in the U.S. (with hybrid vehicles), but we're envious that you're able to pull it off! Mass transit is so inferior here in the U.S. that there's really no way to do it unless you live in a major urban centre.

I'm envious of the knitting time!

Anonymous said...

I never thought I would say this, but I miss public transport. I don't like relying on the car so much, but my hour long commute to work by car would be twice as long by public transport as I'd have to get a bus/train into town, then another out, then walk for half an hour. I just can't spend 4 hours a day commuting.
I miss bus/train knitting time, and I miss walking.