24 February 2007

my birthday continues

While living in Toronto, I never had the opportunity to attend the Toronto Film Festival. I just never got around to looking at the program and planning which movies I wanted to see. When I did finally got around to choosing a movie I wanted to see... I was too late, tickets were sold out.

This year, as part of my birthday celebration, the Spouse and I decided we would attend the 5th Jameson Dublin International Film Festival. We were a little too late in the planning, since some of the tickets had sold out before the festival started. However, we did choose a couple of films to see this weekend.

On Friday, we viewed My Best Friend (Mon Meilleur Ami). The Spouse and I enjoyed this fun and witty French film about finding your best friend.

This morning, the Spouse and I went to see the Curse of the Golden Flower. I enjoyed Chow Yun-Fat's performance in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. So I was expecting the same sort of storyline/martial arts thing. We were a little disappointed with this film. Don't get me wrong, it was a good "blockbuster" of a movie...sort of Asian Hollywood style.

As an interesting aside, I learned a few interesting things about going to the movies on this side of the pond:

going to the movies = going to the cinema
watching a movie = watching a film
popcorn = very pricey movie snack on this side of the pond

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you for going to the film festival! We've lived here 5 years and still haven't gone....and many happy returns to you, birthday girl!