04 March 2007

a bit of Dublin history

With every new adventure, I take the opportunity to explore my new surroundings. Yesterday, I took the bus to the National Museum of Ireland: Decorative Arts and History. It is locally known as Collins Barracks. When the bus driver realized I did not have a clue to where I was going, he proceeded to give me very clear directions. Thank you, Mr. Bus Driver for providing me with the following history lesson:

Croppie Acre:

A memorial park across from Collins barracks. Thousands of bodies are buried here. They were the executed rebels during the uprising of 1798.


great morning to enjoy the daffodils...

Collins Barracks:

It use to be a military barracks, named after Michael Collins, leader of the Irish Free State in 1922.

The history can be found here.

The purpose of my visit to Collins Barracks:

To attend my first spin-in with the Eastern Region Group of the Irish Guild of Spinners, Weavers and Dyers. The venue for the spin-in was held in one of the museum's meeting rooms within the Square.

So along with my drop spindle, I joined the other spinners, along with knitters and weavers...and enjoyed my first spin-in.









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a great day, wasn't it? Lovely pictures of the museum grounds and such. Did you happen to go into the museum itself? Wonderful artifacts and a section on textiles on the top floor. Looking forward to another day like that with you and the Guild!

Ger said...

I love the photos Diane, they look really well. It seems like you enjoyed yourselves there at the guild meeting. Curved St cafe was good too for our SnB meeting and had great food and coffee and tea.
See you soon
Ger

Holly said...

Welcome aboard. It was a great day. Cool to see what everyone is doing. Glad it was yesterday and not today. Weather is horrible.

Mary said...

Looks great Diane. I absolutely love the Barracks and must get there myself some day soon. Looking forward to seeing some of your spinning delights.