23 March 2007

customer service

I love to shop for yarn, call me a yarnaholic... On this side of the pond I know of four shops that sell yarn.

The mother and daughter proprietors of the lovely shop in Blackrock Market are like rays of sunshine. They are friendly and happy people. Their enthusiasm for knitting is contagious. Customer service is excellent and I enjoy being in their store.

There are two other shops on the north side of the Liffey, however, the sales staff at both make me feel like the invisible woman...they are not aware of my existence. I walk around in these stores and no one seems to care or take notice that I am a yarnaholic and I want to buy yarn.

The fourth store on this list is a little out of the city centre, however, they have a large variety of the blended yarns. The customer service at this location is the total opposite of what I experienced in Blackrock. The words that come to mind…unfriendly, unhappy, unenthusiastic…get the picture??? The customer asks the seller, "what is the yardage in one ball of kilcarra?" and his response is a non-verbal cue, a person’s body language is worth a thousand words… the seller rolling his eyes at the customer.

As a consumer, let us take a stand… speak up and demand for good customer service.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I certainly hope that 'you know who' takes your message to heart, although there wouldn't be nearly so much colourful chat at our knitting groups if he did!

Ger said...

Very subtly put, Diane. Don't suppose,unfortunately that the owner/manager of this establishment reads blogs! But like 'a simple yarn' says our conversation at our meetings would not be so 'flowery'.
Ger

Anonymous said...

I'm sure its a shock to you,coming to this country, to experience such appaling customer service (not to mention manners!) as well as other poor misunfortunates who wander into his shop unknowing about his moods. I suppose at least you know the way he is from the knitting meetups!
Good seeing you today, havent seen you in ages!

Mary said...

I was talking to someone at the weekend about customer service and this person could do with a little assistance, you could be the right person to guide him.

Heidirific said...

You are absolutely right about the shop in Blackrock. I am thrilled that they are doing so well and it is because of their enthusiasm that I am enjoying knitting so much. Well, that and the quality yars they sell. Mmm, silk, soft cotton, merino, cashmere...

Lien said...

There is- soon to be "was" another shop, in Bray. The proprietress sells lovely yarn and is usually quite helpful. Everyone who stops into the shop seems to know her.

But get there quick! She's closing down the shop to sail around the world.